Friday, August 13, 2010

Crickets

Feels like I've been downstairs in the basement laboratory for a while now.

I've been away from the blog for a few weeks, and will likely be away for a few more -- I'm finishing up the first act of The Immersibles (am mega-excited), doing a final polish on Wake-Walking, working on a screenplay version of my horror play Echoes of Mercy, dramaturging the plays for the upcoming Stage Fright II short play anthology, teaching classes, acting in another short industrial film, preparing a lecture on magic realism, and just generally trying to keep from going crazy. Also, I have a sunburn. But I promise I will be back as soon as I have time to think up something witty to say here, like ... oh, I don't know ... uh ...

(crickets)

"Crickets" would actually be a great place to segue into my lifelong love of Buddy Holly. Instead, I have been thinking a lot about Paul Simon. I found a really great solo version of Mr. Simon performing one of my favorite songs, American Tune:




I was also incredibly pleased to learn that he wrote another song I hold dear -- "Red Rubber Ball," by the great-but-obnoxiously-named band The Cyrkle. Here is Simon & Garfunkel's much more biting version:




(I am now feeling asymmetrical, not bringing this back around to Buddy Holly. So ... here's a piece of Paul Simon's song "Old," which is his tribute to Buddy Holly's song "Peggy Sue." The video is apparently of someone's father struggling to make it upstairs. There. Symmetry.)



No comments:

Post a Comment