Wednesday, July 7, 2010

48-Hour and Some Wisdom From Maine.

June 12, 2010. "Call that one person you write for Ideal Reader. He or she is going to be in your writing room all the time: in the flesh once you open the door and let the world back in to shine on the bubble of your dream, in spirit during the sometimes troubling and often exhilarating days of the first draft, when the door is closed. And you know what? You'll find yourself bending the story even before Ideal Reader glimpses so much as the first sentence. I.R. will help you get outside yourself a little, to actually read your work in progress as an audience would while you're still working. This is perhaps the best way of all to make sure you stick to story, a way of playing to the audience even while there's no audience there and you're totally in charge." - Stephen King, On Writing


I bring this up only because I find it useful, important, and intensely clarifying.


Last night brought the opening of the 48 Hour film project. We drew "Buddy Film," and I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I would love to be there with the filmmakers today, but I am otherwise obligated. I am very happy with the script, though, written with my own I.R. very much in mind. Here, incidentally, is a picture I snapped just before kick-off. It's the purplish-blue Artistika building in downtown Greensboro, smack dab in the middle of the so-called "antique district" (hats off to Tom Barker) ...





No comments:

Post a Comment